Saturday, March 14, 2009

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Death Mask (Unauthenticated)


W.A. Mozart Death MaskClick Photo to Enlarge


It has been recorded that Mozart's death mask was made by Count Josef Deym von Stritetz on December 5, 1791 shortly after Mozart's death on that day. Like all such masks of its time, Mozart's death mask was likely made of gypsum. Neither the original, nor a copy reportedly made for Contstanze Mozart survives. The death mask in this photograph is reported to be an unauthenticated bronze copy which was discovered in 1947. It is on display within Mozart's home in Vienna, Austria.



If you Dugg this article, tell others about it!


1 comment:

Credits

This blog represents the collected body of information I have accumulated as I continue my studies of this dying art. In compiling this information, I have relied heavily upon the works of others to check and cross check its accuracy. I have attempted to give credit where credit is due, but there are cases in which I was not able to positively determine the original contributor’s works. I thank those individuals in advance for their hard work.

Kindly bookmark this blog, and check back frequently for more information. I update and revise it daily.